Tuesday, June 03, 2008

PRINCE CHARLES PRATTLES IN GOBBLEDEGOOK TO PROMOTE CLEAR BASIC ENGLISH
The heir to the British throne recently wrote the foreword to 'A Decade Of Jargon & Gobbledegook.' Book is published by the Plain English Campaign to emphasize some of the worst examples of officialese during the past ten years.
Prince Charles' contribution was to write in deliberately verbose language that took forever to say that he backs more plain English and less nonsense in bureaucratic writing:
"Due to a frequent regrettable inability to prevent my presence in other locations, I find that I must convey to you my goodwill in a correspondence format", he wrote. "How many of us, I wonder, when faced with pretentious gobbledegook and empty jargon, experience a kick-start into despair mode? My feelings to you all are, attitudinally, those of enormous encouragement...."
Which confirms absolutely that pompous prose really does give a Royal pain.

No comments: