Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Though I have mainly earned my living as an advertising copywriter, my greatest enjoyment has been the writing of historical novels and studies of military history, regardless of the fact they are not all that well known. Often, I have gained pleasure from imagining one of my books being discovered many years hence and read by a person yet unborn. So I was particularly pleased to learn that my dream of being stumbled upon and read sometime far in the future was also shared by a famed author.
"When I write, I aim in my mind not toward New York, but toward a vague spot a little east of Kansas. I think of the books on library shelves, without their jackets, years old, and a country boy finding them, and having them speak to him. The reviews,the stacks in Brentanos, are just hurdles to get over, to eventually place the books on that shelf." -- John Updike.

No comments: